Thursday, March 22, 2007

Email from Smiles...

You've read her comments on my blog after every marathon, here's an exchange we had today:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Smiles: My classes really feel for you, tons read about you yesterday in the paper. Any chance that other guy ran a bad marathon?

Me: No, he's legit. Just did what he had to do. I appreciate the way they feel for me too, but I'm really just fine. What record I'm going for next? Maybe the longest chain of paper clips. Or maybe I'll start growing my fingernails. I'm sure I'll come up with something at some point, but probably not today.

Let your kids know that sometimes we get disappointed, but it's really about the attitude. I've had an AMAZING journey, inspired hundreds of people, made a positive impact on people I love, and met tons of new friends.

So, Richard got the record. Things like that happen. I'm cool. Well, mostly.:-)

Smiles: I said thanks for the message to my students already, but I actually ended up reading it to them. They thought you were very cool and collected. You truly do inspire, even in these moments where the recent adventure needs to be put in perspective. I don't think I have admired you more than I did during a moment 6th hour when the students were saying things like "Wow, he has a really cool attitude, that is even cooler than all the races". My heart just felt proud to know you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: