Monday, March 05, 2007

Questions from Mr. Long's class:

Questions from Mr. Long's class:

If you are in Antartica, how about wearing some shorts, I dare you! Cole
No shorts, but I did jump into the plunge pool on the ship, which was filled with freezing water from the ocean.

What is the temperature there? Is it cold? Haley M.
It´s been mostly in the 30s since we´ve been in Antarctica. Not too cold. At the top of the glacier though during the race the wind was 43 miles per hour!

If you see a seal with spots, please tell us! Billy
I saw lots of leopard seals down here with spots. They like to eat penguins for lunch. Dinner and breakfast too.

Do you like to have new adventures or are you going just to run? Danielle
I love having new adventures. When I get to Australia, I'll be climbing Mt. Kosciuszko after I get done doing the marathon.

How cold was it when you were doing the marathon? Branden
About freezing, with really high winds and snow.

Of all the animals in Antarctica, which do you like the most? Tinelle
Penguins are pretty cool, but I think I like the whales best. We saw humpbacks, minkes, fin whales, and I think some of the people saw an orca.

Do you think you will see penguins or polar bears in Antarctica? Julie
The polar bears are all in the north, not the south. But you probably knew that and were just trying to test me, I bet.

Is it cold there? Dayton
Not for somebody as tough as me. :-)

Hey Don, how are you doing is it cold? Jake
Are you nervous to be running a marathon in Antarctica? Haley S.
It was a blast! Cold and snowy, but lots of fun.

Do you think marathons are hard to run? SophieThey're usually a challenge, and you can't just go out and do one tomorrow, but with a lot of training they are not bad.

Did you see any snakes? Hunter
Nope. No snakes in Antarctica.

Do you think you will see a polar bear? Do not fall in the water! Devan
I did jump on the water after we got done with our kayak race. My drysuit had a little hole at the bottom of the zipper, so I got some VERY COLD water inside it.

What is it like in Argentina? Mystique
Argentina is a very nice country. Buenos Aires is a big city, and it was quite hot there, but it's the middle of summer here, so that's to be expected. Down here in Ushuaia, it's much cooler, since we're so far south. Ushuaia is a little tourist town, and the main port for trips to Antarctica.

Are you going to wear a jacket in the Antarctica marathon? Jenner
Yes, I wore a long sleeve tshirt, a light windshirt, and my rain jacket, and was about right the whole time.

Have you seen any animals that we don't see in Michigan? Nicole
Penguins, seals, whales, some other birds like the Antarctic Tern, Albatross. We even saw some porpoises yesterday on the way back across the Drake Passage.

When you go to Antarctica, will you see a lot of animals? Autumn
(see previous answer)

Do you like penguins? Mandy
Yeah, but they really stink.

Are there brick roads in Argentina? Kris
Probably, but most are just like the roads back home

How is the ship, is it 1st class? Douglas
The is ship is a fairly small research ship, not a big cruise ship. It's very comfortable though, and the feed us very well.

What gave you the idea of running marathons around the world? Brandi
It started when I saw that the last time they held this marathon that they were able to run in Ushuaia as well. So I started researching a little bit to find out how quickly someone could do all seven continents. It just kinda grew from there.

How many people race against you in marathons? Justin
This one had about 140 people doing the full marathon. I think the one in Spain had around 1000. In Egypt it was 80. Marathons come in all sizes!

No comments: