Monday, March 12, 2007

Six Foot Track Marathon


I expected this one to be tough, possibly the toughest one of the seven, since it was 45K of serious trails and a seven hour cutoff after only 2 days of rest.

(details from the last couple days of travel omitted, but Friday Brent and Paul were there at the airport in Sydney on time and ready to roll.)

We spent the night at Jenolan Caves House, about 4 hours out of Sydney. Early a.m. Saturday, we boarded the bus back to Katomba for the start of the race. At the trailhead, we stopped and talked to race director Kevin Tiller, and got ready for the start of the race. Damper (bread containing fruit, drizzled with honey) and tea or coffee was served as we waited. Because of the narrowness of the trail, the race was started in waves. Ours was the third one, designated with blue race numbers. At the end of every wave, running at 7 hours pace, was "The Sweeper," an experienced trail runner with a broom, signifying that you better darn well stay ahead of him or you wouldn't get an official finish.

At 8:20 our wave started. Slowly, down some steep steps on moss-slickened rocks until we reached some even steeper rock steps which kept us going slowly and single file for about the first 20 minutes. Finally it opened up so we could run freely. The three of us stayed together, just having a great time through some beautiful Australian trails. Soon we came to a more open pasture-like area, and through some woods. Suddenly some pinging, sort of like wind chimes, was all around us. It was really a pretty sound, almost surreal. Our best theory at the moment is some kind of tree frogs.

We moved farther into the course and started a long descent on rocky trails. At the very bottom was a stream, first a small crossing, then one that would get everyone's attention, the water all the way up to our waist. A rope strung across the river kept anyone from getting swept away. I sat on the bank and rinsed the gravel out of my shoes and socks, then through an aid station and we began the first of two very long climbs. It was a long slog, followed by a shorter descent, then another VERY long slog up to the 26K mark. 19K to go, as we went through the aid station. We thought we were making good time, but as I got some food and drink, a guy with a blue number and a BROOM in his hand caught me. "I hope you're ahead of schedule," I said. "Actually, I'm about 1 minute behind." CRAP! As he continued on the trail, I waited for a minute for Paul to dump out his shoes, but Paul could see I was getting impatient, as the sweeper pulled away. "Just go!" he said, seeing the concern in my eyes. I took off after the sweeper. As he passed people with blue numbers, he kept warning them that they needed to finish ahead of him or not get a medal.

I got mad. No, I got DETERMINED! I didn't come all this way to screw it up now. My attitude kicked into overdrive. The next aid station was only about 2K away, and that was the last time I saw the sweeper. I pushed on, working the course along with Brent. Paul never did catch up with us.

I didn't realize it, but we still climbed a lot over the rest of the course, but I never backed off. Only a couple more severe up hill climbs, but relatively short. 7K to go, finally, we crossed the road and began a mostly downhill to the finish. Time to spare, but not to goof around. 3K to go, and it was severe downhill, my quads burning with every step. 1K and I could hear the announcer as I approached Jenolan Caves. I heard them announce Brent's finish, as I headed down the final hill. 6:45!!! beating the cutoff by 15 minutes!!! 6 down. 1 to go.

Brent and I waited at the finish. Finally, with minutes to spare, we heard Paul's name announced coming down the final slope to the finish line, beating the sweeper. Our mission was succesful. Priorities: 1. Beer. 2. Shower. Again, our mission was successful.

3 comments:

Nasreen Fynewever said...

Wahoo Don-man! Glad you did not get caught by the sweeper. Best of luck for the final marathon.

R2B said...

Well done Don!

Now you know a little bit about this most folkloric of Australian Marathons.

Cheers R2B

Ewen said...

G'day Don... glad you 'enjoyed' your first 6 foot!

That 'pinging sound' is the call of the Bellbirds - they are a small bird, hard to see unless you stop running! Next time :)

There's a beautiful Aussie poem about them. I particularly like the last verse:

Often I sit, looking back to a childhood,
Mixt with the sights and the sounds of the wildwood,
Longing for power and the sweetness to fashion,
Lyrics with beats like the heart-beats of Passion; -
Songs interwoven of lights and of laughters
Borrowed from bell-birds in far forest-rafters;
So I might keep in the city and alleys
The beauty and strength of the deep mountain valleys:
Charming to slumber the pain of my losses
With glimpses of creeks and a vision of mosses.