Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Monday, 19 November

It was pretty much a blur, since I left my hotel at 12:30 am in Beirut, which is 5:30 pm in Atlanta. About 3 hours flight at 3:30 to Frankfort, then 9 hours from Frankfort to Atlanta. My total flight time so far is about 24 hours. That's just air time.

Sunday was a pleasant end of a marathon day. After a little R-and-R back at the room, I went over to the Radisson. Just as I arrived Mark (race director) was getting out of his car. We walked in together, and sat in the big lobby/lounge area. Quite a cast--Marek (Warsaw RD), Massimo (RD of a 12K in Italy that is run in many cities simultaneously), Norrie from South Africa (Course measurer for this course and, among others, the Atlanta Olympic marathon course), John Tyszkiewicz from England (Nearly as crazy as me when it comes to adventure stuff). Great conversation over a couple of the local Almaza beers. Then Mark took me over to his office, giving me a great education on sponsorships and media enroute. He wrote a verification letter for me to document my finish for the Guinness people.

Back at the Radisson afterward, John was still sitting and talking when I walked back in. We walked about a mile or so to Gammayzeh area and found a restaurant, Copper, where we could get some steak. Somewhere around 10:00 we headed back, where I finished packing, set my watch to wake me up in 1 1/2 hours, and snoozed for a bit.

No comments: