Monday, February 12, 2007

Home for a day

OK, I was supposed to be home for 2 days, but United Airlines had better ideas. So, I was treated to a night in the Airport Hilton in Chicago.
Today I got home to find a couple great emails. Adam Jacobs at thefinalsprint.com has published a podcast featuring ME! Pretty cool. It's at http://thefinalsprint.com, if you're really bored sometime and would like to listen.

Michael Long's fifth grade class has me on a web page too! It's at http://www.hcs.cgresd.net/hillside/long/pages/class-news.php

And, I also got a very special email from someone I ran with three years ago, Tammy Gaghan:

Don,

I just had to send you an email after seeing your new running adventure posted on my running group's web page.
I have been meaning to send you a note since March 30th 2003.
I just wanted to thank you for running the last 10 or so miles with me during the Ocean Drive Marathon in NJ. It was my first marathon and you made the time fly by with your wonderful marathon stories. During one of your recent blogs you were talking about heroes, well you are sort of a hero to me.
You have inspired both my husband and myself into running all 50 States. I have completed 10 and he has done 18. He also wants to do 50 by 50. Our next one is The Country Music Marathon in April.
Both my husband and I competed on the CBS show The Amazing Race Season 8 along with two of our children who also share a love of running. I swear the reason we were picked was because of our marathons. So I guess this is also a thank you note because of your inspiration I was able to get on a TV show that I loved. .... It was cold that day of the marathon so just imagine me with a funny black baseball cap with ear flaps.

Now, I hope Tammy doesn't mind me sharing this, because things like this just bring tears to my eyes. We never know what influence we'll have on other people. Thanks Tammy!

2 comments:

dan said...

Don,

The whole family listened to your podcast interview while we played board games in the living room.

Just like the old-time radio hour before the television machine.

Great interview.

Michael said...

Hello Don!
My class has a ton of questions for you. Please answer them when you can.
-Do you get money for getting into the record book? Kayla & Haley M.
-If you see a scorpion, please tell us! Billy
-Why do you like going to different places to run? Danielle
-What is your favorite food from Spain? Cole
-What is your motivation? Mandy
-What will you do when you are done with this adventure? Tinelle
-When you are Egypt, watch out for quicksand! Devon
-Will you see the Sphnix? Justin
-Are there any marathons you are nervous to run? Haley S.
-What is the hardest thing about running marathons? Sophie
-What will be you fastest marathon? Nicole
-How old were you when you started running marathons? Brandon
-Will you tell us about Ann Franks house? Autumn
-What did you think about Birmingham(the city)? Kris
-Do you believe in the Mummy's curse? If so, are you scared? Julie
-Please send or post pictures! Hunter
-Why do you want to run through different countries? Torri
-If you go into a pyramid, can you take a picture for us to see? Doug
-What are you looking forward to seeing in Egypt? James
-Did you know Cheech and Chong filmed one of their movies in Amsterdam? Allen
-Was it cold in Alabama? Which marathon do you think will be the coldest? LaReva
-Are you having fun? Jacob
-What gave you the idea of running marathons around the world? Brandi
-What is the most dangerous animal you see on your trip around the world? Mystique
-What kind of coffee did you have in Amsterdam, Egypt and Spain? Michael(me)
You are awesome Don, keep up the great work!
Mr. Long and Class