Thursday, February 22, 2007

In Colonia, Uruguay

"It had a big head on it. At first I thought it was a snake." That was Melanie, describing the huge lizard three of my friends saw on a run this morning. I went out with James a little later, so we missed the lizard, darn it.

So after a nice, hot morning run (about 5 miles and about 80 degrees) I went back to the hotel gym and lifted a few weights and ran another mile on the treadmill. The next plan was an afternoon trip across the Rio de la Plata to the old city of Colonia, Uruguay. The town here is a big contrast to Buenos Aires, with lots of old shops, big trees lining the streets, and beautiful old gardens. It's like stepping back in time--some of the trucks and cars still in use here are older than me!

Interesting stats--this is the sixth country I've been in on this trip. USA, the Netherlands, Egypt, Spain, Argentina, Uruguay. I've slept three nights on airplanes. I've had beer made in every country I've been in. Except for Uruguay. Guess I better sign off now!

No comments: