Wednesday, December 05, 2007

5 - 6 December 2007

Wednesday. Now it feels like I've lost a day. Oh well, I'll get it back on Saturday.

Drove around for a bit, shoping, getting some local cash from the ATM, picking up a plug so I can use my computer and charge my batteries here.

On the way back to the airport to get my suitcase, I spotted the Cock and Bull, an English style pub and BREWERY. Had a couple tastes, then bought a pint of Classic Draught and a bowl of soup.

Got my bag and headed south toward Wanganui.

New Zealand is a rugged country. Beautiful, mountainous--ancient volcanoes worn down by millennia make up the lush green hills and valleys. Herds of cattle and flocks of sheep dot the countryside. I made my way south on two lane roads through little towns along the way.

I'm driving on the left side of the road. The steering wheel is on the right. And it's a standard transmission. Kinda fun. They can tell I'm an American here because when I want to turn I turn on the windshield wipers. :-)

I stopped for the night in the town of Taumarunui. It's a pleasant, roll-up-the-streets at 9:00 town. Decided to snooze a bit from 7 - 8:30 then head out for a bite to eat. I've given up on getting over jet lag--I'm only going to be here for three days anyway. So I'll eat, sleep, and whatever else when I feel like it.

Ate a nice little dinner and watched a movie on TV until midnight. Slept for two hours, then was wide awake until after 5:00 a.m. Oh well. Read half of a Sherlock Holmes book I bought in Auckland. Slept for three more hours and got up around 8:30 before heading out for some breakfast and to continue my way south.

Arrived in Wanganui, the next marathon site, at around 2:30. Found a room at a backpacker inn, and walked around town in the rain for a couple hours.

That's about what I know for now. Maybe I'll do something interesting later.

1 comment:

Cool Class said...

Hello Don!
Sounds like things are going good. My class loved the animal pictures, I guess that includes you too:) We fell behind again, We had two snow/ice days this week. We talked about South Africa and New Zealand. I have noticed that you have visited a lot of major wine producing countries on this adventure, any coincidence? We are also studying electricity. We just talked about how other countries use different plugs. I think you said something about getting a new plug in New Zealand. Here a few more questions from the kids. Answer them when you have time. Good luck on #5 and 6!

What was your favorite animal you saw on the safari? Maria & Christine

Did the cheetahs do anything other than lie there? Julie & Miranda

Is it hard to run in warmer weather when you are not used to it? Emily & Vicky

Did you see any type of deer on your safari? Taylor & Rocco

Do you like kiwi fruit? Did you try any in New Zealand? Julius & Sean

How far ahead in time is New Zealand from Michigan? What will be the time difference from New Zealand to Chile? Caitlen & Sandy

Have you ever played rugby? Will you watch the All Blacks while you are in New Zealand? John & Shawn

Do you think you will enjoy running in a New Zealand marathon? Is a marathon organized differently in NZ than in the US? Crystal & Cierra

Other than sheep, what other animals have you seen in New Zealand? Brandi & Rachael

What has been your favorite wine that you have had in; Italy, S. Africa and New Zealand? Will you have some in Chile? Mr. Long

Are you nervous about trying to break the world record? Which marathon have you liked the most on your current trip? Daniel & Chris

What is the main food you eat the night before a marathon? What about the morning of the race? James & Trenton