Monday, December 10, 2007

Notes from Mr. Long's class

What was your favorite animal you saw on the safari? Maria & Christine
Probably the rhino's. They're pretty cool.

Did the cheetahs do anything other than lie there? Julie & Miranda
Not really, but when they got up I sure rolled the window up fast!

Is it hard to run in warmer weather when you are not used to it? Emily & Vicky
Yes, warmer weather does slow me down a little bit.

Did you see any type of deer on your safari? Taylor & Rocco
Yes, a lot of gazelles.

Do you like kiwi fruit? Did you try any in New Zealand? Julius & Sean
Yes and no.

How far ahead in time is New Zealand from Michigan? What will be the time difference from New Zealand to Chile? Caitlen & Sandy
NZ is 18 hours ahead of Michigan. Chile is 2 hours ahead of Michigan.

Have you ever played rugby? Will you watch the All Blacks while you are in New Zealand? John & Shawn
I haven't played rugby, but I do like to watch the All Blacks. Expecially like the Maori chant that they do before the game.

Do you think you will enjoy running in a New Zealand marathon? Is a marathon organized differently in NZ than in the US? Crystal & Cierra
It's about the same--but every marathon has its own character. You can read my report on it that I posted on Saturday.

Other than sheep, what other animals have you seen in New Zealand? Brandi & Rachael
Just cattle and a few birds.

What has been your favorite wine that you have had in; Italy, S. Africa and New Zealand? Will you have some in Chile? Mr. Long
I really couldn't tell you the names of them very well, but I really enjoyed the wine at my friend Hans' place in South Africa. In Chile, I only had beer so far.

Are you nervous about trying to break the world record? Which marathon have you liked the most on your current trip? Daniel & Chris
I don't usually get nervous--whatever happens, happens. I think Florence was the best marathon, but then running in Atlanta side by side with Francine was pretty special.

What is the main food you eat the night before a marathon? What about the morning of the race? James & Trenton
Unlike a lot of marathon runners that load up on pasta the night before, I pretty much eat whatever I feel like eating. The morning of--same thing. If it's an early start, I might just have a power bar or some Fig Newtons or something.

No comments: