Monday, December 03, 2007

Kragga Kama Game Park 30 November 2007




I arrived at Jan and Irene's house in the early afternoon after a relaxing morning. Irene suggested a trip to Kragga Kamma Game Park, about 5K away from their place. I went there to have a look.

Driving up to the booth, before even entering the park, an enormous ostrich came up to check me out. He kept coming closer, just to see who was there.

As soon a I entered the park and rounded the first bend, four giraffes were waiting for me. They were just sitting around, seemingly looking at something off in the distance. Around the next bend were white rhinos. Then wildebeasts.

The whole park was like that--one group of animals after another. Gazelles, zebras, warthogs. In the middle of the park is a cheetah enclosure. Double gates guarded the entrance & exit. The sign said "Do not open if there are cheetahs between the gates." "Duh!" I thought.

I drove around the short loop, and not one cheetah. OK, I'll drive around again. This time, around the back side of the loop, two cheetahs were just hanging out, walked out in front of my car and just flopped down on the road in the shade in front of my car. They decided I could just wait a while if I wanted to go anywhere. Finally, I revved my engine a little bit and they got up. I rolled up my window pretty fast at that point.

The whole trip took only a little over 2 hours, but what a bunch of great animals!

No comments: