Saturday, December 15, 2007

Perspective.

Yesterday morning (Friday) I slept in a little bit, watched a little TV before breakfast. For a few minutes I was feeling bad--something I've worked hard for this year is starting to look out of reach.

Around noon, I went for a run. Up the hills, heading out of town onto the gravel roads for about 5 miles before turning around. I replayed all the events of the last month in my mind as I ran. The great friends I made in Beirut. Winding through the streets in taxis which narrowly (but always) avoided colliding with each other. Eating at the Palm with my favorite woman in the whole world, and finishing a marathon with with her by my side. Being "stuck inside a postcard" in Florence. Hanging out with friends in South Africa, seeing rhinos, zebras, giraffes. Driving through the New Zealand countryside, running a marathon with my best friend in Vina del Mar. And even coming down here, stuck in Punta Arenas with some really great people.

Most people get nothing like this in their lives. In fact, most people don't even do things like this in their imagination. And this is the SECOND time this year that I've run all the continents.

All the while, as I run around the globe, something even better waits for me at home. No matter how far away I get, people who love me back home are still there.

Life is so wonderful. Sometimes I wonder if I must be in a movie or something. I've got some great writers. Wonder what they'll come up with next year?

So, record or no record, I'm good. It's an amazing year. An amazing life.

No comments: